a) Patient comprehension and compliance; it endeavors to answer the questions: “how do patients understand and learn about their disease?” and “why and how do patients follow/fail to follow doctors’ orders?”
- Patient reasoning, strategies in play
- Structuring of patient knowledge between cognition and emotion
- “Patient semiology” model: the case of “sentinel” patients
- Patient treatment compliance and caregiver behavior
b) Changes in the status and role of patients for the purpose of empowering them and creating a therapeutic alliance with caregivers.
- Expert patients, resource patients and patient educators
- Analysis of patient exchanges on internet forums